Skip to main content

Magical Lantern Festival 2017

After reading mixed reviews about the festival in Chiswick gardens, I was somewhat dubious about visiting yesterday and what to expect. Well I loved it. It was absolutely amazing, the displays were beautiful and of brilliant quality. To be honest I didn't know that such huge and intricate displays could be made out of lantern. 
I liked the link to the theme: the Silk Road. This means I travelled the globe in an hour and a half- I particularly loved the displays of flowers, cacti and Aladdin's palace. 
The Silk Road is an ancient trade route linking the East and the West. Coined because of the transportation of silks made in China to the Roman Empire. Silk production was so valuable in these times that the Chinese emperor tried (and failed) to keep the secrets of manufacturing the material, with the knowledge then spreading westward. These routes were now discovered and used to transport all sorts of goods for example precious stones, spices, other textiles and later the Black Death.
aladdin cave lantern london
I hope to go again next year and would recommend going to anyone on the fence. (Ignore the bad reviews about the displays at least) Although, I have to admit, the ice rink didn't look that great and food, drink and rides were definitely on the pricey side. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are robots stealing our jobs?

Photo by  Rock'n Roll Monkey  on  Unsplash From replacing workers in factories to driving buses, there are many worries surrounding the advancements in the robotics industry. These concerns are not entirely unfounded as many processes are becoming more and more mechanised. There are even robot rock bands! The worries seem to stem from robots having the ability to carry progressively complex tasks; The Henn-na Hotel in Japan is the world’s first hotel to be staffed by robots. These robots speak many languages and aid in the checking in and out processes, they are able to store luggage and carry it to the guests’ room. Facial recognition software is also used as a room key replacement. Loss of jobs seems to be a large area of human concern. In fact the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) have recently warned that robots will replace a third of the UK’s jobs and a study conducted in 2013 by Oxford University estimated that “47 percent of total US is at risk...

St Dunstan in the East Church Gardens

St-Dunstan-in-the-East is an old, Church of England church situated halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London. It was destroyed in the blitz of WWII and its ruins have been converted into a public garden. The church started out in the 12th Century, but was then damaged alongside the rest of the city in 1666 in the Great Fire of London. After several renovations including a new steeple designed by Sir Christopher Wren, the church was destroyed in 1941 during the Blitz of WWII. The beautiful remains of the church have now been turned into equally a beautiful garden. The greenery wonderfully juxtaposes with the gothic architecture producing a feel of The Secret Garden; which is what it effectively is as a garden tucked behind modern skyscrapers. A gem of London and well worth the visit.

Raspberry and Passion Fruit Cake

A sweet crowd-pleaser, this cake goes down well - and doesn't even need fresh raspberries. I've adapted a recipe by Lorraine Elliot which looks amazing - I've converted it into a  metric recipe. Ingredients For the cakes 215g caster sugar 100g brown sugar 340g butter, at room temp 5 eggs, at room temp 250 ml single cream (I used 1/2 lemon, juiced 400g self raising flour Pinch of salt 2 passion fruits 2 tbsp raspberry jam pink food colouring For the buttercream 250g unsalted butter (soft) 500g icing sugar 2 tbsp milk (or substitute) 2 passion fruits 3 tbsp raspberry jam Extra decor Fresh raspberries Method 1.  Preheat the oven to 130 ° C (not a typo). Grease two 20cm/8" round baking tins and line the bases. 2.  Cream together the butter and sugars until very pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until combined each time. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the cream and lemon juice until slightly thicker. 3.  Fold ha...